Sunday, February 25, 2018

This year, the docket unfolds.

Guess what?
Once a year,
 I go someplace
I've never been before.
😍 ❤ 💘
This is my art completed In 2015.
This year, on the docket, there are going to be many, the Netherlands, Quebec, Kauai and Saugatuk, MI to start. I found out, on a whim, my friend booked a trip to Amsterdam this year. Several years ago, she discovered her distant relatives are Dutch and Norwegian. Dutch is a small part of my ancestory is as well, my paternal side. As time went on, she went to Holland and ran across a letter, a ‘great-great’ left for anyone who passed-by with their last name. It was fun to hear her story. {Don’t get confused, there are several second-to-first person switches here..}
Evening sunset
She said, “I was passing by a little venue in Holland and the curator asked me what my last name was.” I told them, and the curator said, “Wait, I have something for you.” 

"I was Surprised and perplexed", she said, "I waited while the curator went to the back room, and came back with a worn envelope. I took it. As I read it, I found out that my family was quite wealthy in those days. They basically owned the town, and had all sorts of trades in their favor. I was silently hoping that she left something for me.” She snickered, but then continued, “After saying my thank you’s and good byes, I walked the streets of the little town and saw banks, bars and other buildings having signs with my last name plastered on the fronts.”  She smiled, “It was very cool! I even got a picture pointing to the bank sign. I found out many of my family, in the late 1880’s left this little town to move to either South Africa or Colorado. There aren’t many who live in the US today, you can't find many of them here. I found a family who lives in the Netherlands.” She paused. Then continued, "This is what got me interested in reconnecting with my history and traveling to those places where my families live."

A few years later, she went on to saying, another of her distant relatives reached out to her. He lives in Amsterdam; invited her to stay with them. The history and family stories and tails will be fun to listen to. 

This year, she decided to take her distant relatives up on the offer. 

Today, while telling me of her plans, she invited me along. She said it would be fun to participate in part of her journey. I said I’d look at my calendar and see if I have anything during those travel dates. She said, “Okay, let’s see how our story unfolds. If it works great, if not, it wasn’t meant to be.” 

Come along, as I share my travel plans to go someplace I've never been before and as these plans for travels unwind and unfold.

🏊🚴🏻 🏃🏻‍♀️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think of your life as a series of year cycles.

There is a small, disheveled baby robin making her very first steps in my garden today. She looks a bit dazed and exhausted, her lovely yell...