Saturday, March 24, 2018

IMMT 2018 Lessons Learned - Thoughtful Fix

Training for Ironman Mont-Tremblant!
❤️🚴🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️☕ 
Another key lesson: mental strength
😍  💘
Here's my recap for this month:
Life is a lot more fun when you’re all smiling, don’t you think? This is something I’ve been focusing on, during my yoga practice. I always hear my Yogi practitioner say, “You all are so serious. You can smile you know.” Some even say, “Put a little curl in the sides of your mouth.” I look in the mirror, since there are mirrored-laced walls at the studio. I see how serious I am while positioning into a pose. I notice how serious I can be when I run. I am knee-deep in my thoughts before I realize how I look: Serious! So, I’ve been focused on planting a smile on my face when I workout.

Another place that brings me to a place I don’t want to be, is when I surround myself with negative people. If you surround yourself with people who belittle your dreams or don’t support you then it is twice as hard to get an idea off the ground. 

I’ve found that life is a lot more fun when you’re smiling. Even in a race, I have more fun when I pass spectators and I’m smiling. The spectators seem to respond more and support me more.

Recap of What I learned and BIG wins for me this month:
  • Be Positive! Manage your inner “voice.” Do an Internal check-in, Think performance, Reflect on the race (self-efficacy), and Talk-the-talk.
  • Feelings are just visitors, let them come and go. Every good quality follows from perseverance.
  • Build Chemistry and Support with a partner, kids, siblings, parents, dogs, and more….Involve family in the process and Keep Those Around you happy and involved
  • The Roger Bannister Method (set benchmarks in each workout daily)
  • Navigating the chaos of M-F to set up the coming weekend
  • Create a Success Mindset and Get Your Mind Out of The Way and focus on Negative Split Thinking
  • This can be easy…  it’s as simple as getting out and doing it.
  • You can quit if you want and no one will care. But you will know for the rest of your life.
  • Anyone doing this sport knows, that when you complete the year-long training and make it to the start, and then finish, you are a champion. 
  • This sport is very much a mental sport, if your head is not in the game, chances are you are not going to make it. 
  • Show up, make it happen and get a place at the start and finish crossing the Ironman line.
  • There’s no perfect training and there are always going to be things that happen.  
  • Just like anything. It is intangible stuff, you have to be tough to endure it.  We all have our doubts and dark moments, especially during the race. And I am a perfectionist, wanting to be my best, put my best effort into all of what I do, all of the time: in training, during the race, all of it. When I slip-up, and don’t do it or put in what I plan, I am way hard on myself. 
  • Going into training and the day of the race, you have to go into it with a mindset that you will make it happen, no matter what happens. 
  • You must have the determination to keep going! Even when you slip up, stop, don’t feel like it, “whatever.”
  • Face your fears. The biggest hang-up is Fear, fear is self-imposed. Behind every fear is the person you want to be. In even the minor detail, you must face your fears and turn it into habits, and you will conquer them.  You create fear; in the same token, you can destroy fear too. It is intangible. 
  • Trust in the heart of hearts.  Trust yourself. Endure the diligence to be successful at it. Look at the small things, (this goes for in life as well) and break it down into smaller pieces. Refine and tweak. Then look at the job you did. 
  • If you put your all into it, then, Today, you can never say you didn’t do enough!  You need to work to BE enough. This is character, your character defines success.
  • Visualize yourself on the course, step-by-step.
  • Always be present during workouts (Yoga) - Being mindful during workouts can reduce stress, boost self confidence and improve the quality of training session. When a person is distracted, you could lose the connection to what you are doing. If you are constantly looking at the clock, rushing through a workout or thinking about all of the things you think you should be doing instead, a person won't feel connected to body. Be sure to give the workout a purpose so that there is something to focus on in the moment.
  • Consistency is key - Consistency is the driver to success. Athletes don't lack effort, motivation, passion, direction or a realistic goal.  Some may lack the ability to stay consistent though. Effort, intensity and duration are nothing without consistency. A person can finish a workout that leaves one feeling accomplished. But if have 4+ additional quality training sessions in the week, you won't gain anything from that 1 workout session. The accumulation of good workouts over and over again will brings results. It’s that simple. It’s not JUST the one great workout that leaves you overly exhausted, sore and possibly sick or injured that works, its consistency. Always focus on the minimal amount of training that is needed to give performance improvements.
  • Never neglect your lifestyle habits - Training works when being mindful (or listening to your body) of your health. Getting restful sleep, to manage stress, eat well, fuel and hydrate smart, then the body works better as you workout. It's easier to stay consistent and you will be motivated to train. The choices made when you aren't training directly impact energy, mood, motivation, recovery and ability to better adapt to training.  Both when training and not are important.
  • Have fun! - This sport is a (in my case) hobby. The sport is not a chore or a job. Training should have a positive impact on the rest of life.  This sport is designed to make a person a better employee, partner, parent, friend, community member, (you name it), etc. Don't lose the "fun" part of training and racing. This is, hopefully, the reason why you got started with this sport in the first place.  Right?
  • Be patient (Patience is a virtue, in anything) - Short-cuts and quick-fixes don't exist in this sport. One must embrace the daily grind, put in the time. Be patient along the way, and relish in the results. It's very easy to quit (or to lose motivation) when you don't see results right away. Accomplishments are seen down the road. Stay patient and don't give up during times of frustration and adversity.
  • The ironman is The perfect storm…It tests your stamina, motivation, and desire. You can overcome challenges to realize your high stake dreams. You find something inside of you, to overcome the obstacle. This makes whole experience rewarding. Set the goal (bar) high, Look at choices during training and Don’t back down. Dedication and determination is required to even finish an ironman.
  • Don't aim for perfection. Don't be so hard on myself. If I miss a workout or need to modify/shorten a workout, it’s okay. It's easy to train when a person has an effective routine that integrates training into life but sometimes "life" happens. An organized life and great time management will help complete training sessions but be OK when the plan doesn't go as planned. Do the best that you can for the day and then focus on tomorrow.
  • Re-baseline SMART goals (6-months in).  Take a look at the goals you made 6 months ago, and readjust and/or reassess if all of the goals match what you want today.
  • Beware of those who share their fears, don’t let their fears become your fears; think smart, be smart!
  • How your day is going. Any answer is fine! If you were able to jump in and start your day off right, wonderful. If you have been procrastinating that’s okay too, don’t feel bad about it!! That is not helpful. There will always be another moment in the day to pick up speed, tomorrow maybe! 
  • The Secret Sauce: Winners Always Show Up!!
  • We all fall down in life. The question is will you get back up?
  • I’m not too talkative in the mornings. I know this, mornings are my time. And once I wake up, usually after my workouts are done, my mind is awake, and I am more chatty.  
  • The more I run, the more I love my body. Not because it's perfect, far from it, but because with every mile it is proving to me that I am capable of more than I ever thought possible.
  • In order to stay ahead of or even at pace, one must constantly test what was DONE, to  what we DO, to what we NEED to do. Which means, baseline, and strive and build speed in progressions. PROVE IT, REFINE IT, and TEST IT progressions. So, today, I begin, Swim, Run and Bike FASTER and TECHNICALLY, SMOOTHER.
  • Don’t compare your time with others, just look at where you are at. Baseline pace, then go from there. Don’t get all stressed out about it.
  • If you are stuck, or can’t seem to get up and get out to workout. It’s as simple as this, wake up in the morning and decide enough is enough! Say, “It is time to make a change!” 
  • My framework is structure and meditation, it keeps both in check.  The ritual of meditation and prayer is a beautiful way to approach all of this.   Continue to learn to decipher juggling between applying, mind management; wisdom. These rituals weave possibility into intentions, positivity into action, and intentions into action for me each moment during each day.  It enriches the experience. Whatever framework you choose, look at it, make the change and apply it. Change is good, make the shift! 
  • Everything around us can affect our everyday lives and our connections.  
  • Surprise yourself! Sometimes you are more in shape than you think. 
Stats this month:


❤️🚴🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️☕ 
Training for Ironman Mont-Tremblant! 

🏊🚴🏻🙏🏻🏃🏻‍♀️
Home is where your story begins!! 
🍂☕🦋

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think of your life as a series of year cycles.

There is a small, disheveled baby robin making her very first steps in my garden today. She looks a bit dazed and exhausted, her lovely yell...